When it comes to releasing official updates of latest Android firmware, Nexus lineup is best. It is because they’re official Android devices from Google and they’re the first to receive update to latest Android version.
Android 5.0 Lollipop is latest version of Android and for now it is only available for Nexus 5 and other nexus lineup. But we are here with big news for Xperia Z owners! Yes, you can now enjoy latest Android 5.0 Lollipop experience on your device using AOSP custom ROM.
Some pre-cautions that you should keep in mind are:
- You need to have your Xperia Z smartphone rooted in order to install this Android 5.0 custom ROM.
- Make sure there is 70-80% of charge remaining in your phone.
- If you phone is not rooted, first root that using appropriate method. Also note that rooting your phone will void its warranty.
- Backup all your important data.
Once you’ve read the above pre-requirements, you are ready to proceed with tutorial.
How to Update Xperia Z to Android 5.0 Lollipop Custom ROM
We have tried our best to cover the whole tutorial in simple and detailed steps so you can easily follow and implement it on your Xperia device.
- Download AOSP Android 5.0 custom ROM for your Xperia Z.
- Download Fastboot and ADB files.
- Extract the AOSP Rom files on your computer to get boot.img, system.img and userdata.img files.
- Extract the Fastboot and ADB files to new folder. Now transfer the boot.img, system.img and userdata.img files [step 3] to adb and Fastboot folder.
- Now you need to boot your Xperia Z to fastboot mode. For that, switch off the Xperia Z and press Volume Up button. Now connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable and keep holding the Volume Up button.
- If the LED light of phone turn blue then it is indication that your phone is now in Fastboot mode.
- Now open the folder where all files are extracted and then open CMD there.
- Type these commands in orderly manner (Without commas): “fastboot flash boot boot.img”, “fastboot flash system system.img”, “fastboot flash userdata userdata.img” and “fastboot flash cache cache.img”.
- When done with all these, all the files will be flashed on your Xperia Z. Just reboot your device by typing “fastboot reboot” command now.
In this way you can easily update Xperia Z to Android 5.0 Lollipop using a custom ROM.